Why Do Roof Tiles Crack?October 19, 2017
Maintaining a home’s roof should always be a priority. That is why many home owners ask questions when it comes time to make roof repairs, so they can better understand why damages happen in the first place, such as why roof tiles crack? Preventive maintenance is always the best course of action, but in regards to cracked roof tiles some causes are just unavoidable accidents.
The first thing to understand is that clay tiles and cement tiles are similar, but not the same, so the cause of roof tile cracks can differ. Regardless of the type of roof tiles you have on your home currently, replacing cracked or broken tiles as soon as possible is very important, that’s because water damage can cause some serious problems, such as mould development and wood rot.
It is not uncommon for older, untreated clay tiles to crack when they are in areas where it rains regularly, over time, moisture can penetrate into the pores of the clay tiles and then expand when the tile become hot from the sun and cracks occurs. Also, older clay tiles can become brittle over time from harsh weather such as freezing temperatures.
However, modern terracotta clay tiles are much stronger than older clay roof tiles, and their coating prevents moisture from penetrating its surface, making them very hardy and able to withstand even extreme temperatures, hail, strong gusts of wind, and even mould can’t grow on them.
Similar to terracotta roof tiles are Boral cement tiles, these are also very strong roof tiles, but even cement roof tiles can develop crack too. In fact, some things like accidents can’t be avoid sometimes.
Understanding the Causes of Roof Tile Cracks
Besides harsh weather, such as hail, strong gusts of wind, extreme heat, and freezing cold, there are other unexpected causes of roof tile cracks, here are few of them:
Foot traffic – one of the most common causes of roof tile cracks is when inexperienced people walk on the roof and unknowingly step on tiles in a way that cause them to crack. This is why only experienced tradespeople should have access to your roof when needed.
Fallen tree branches – if you have a tree growing next to your home, you may want to make sure that there are no branches hanging over your roof, that’s because old fallen tree branches are one of the main causes of roof damage.
Basically, any hard physical contact can crack or break roof tiles, and taking steps to protect your roof can ultimately save you a lot of money in repairing and replacing roof tiles.
Ajax Gregson TIles
PO BOX 79, MOUNT EVELYN VIC 3796 ( Temporary )
Glen’s Mobile 0419 546 699
Mel’s Mobile 0403 486 772
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Why Do Tile Roofs Fail? What are the Best Remedies?
- Upgrading Home Extension Design and Market Value by Using Boral Roofing Tiles
- Advantages of Re-roofing and Switching to Boral Roofing Tiles
- Signs of Aging Roof Tiles: Is DIY Fixing Good Enough?
- Why Roofing Tile Styles and Colours Should Be Part of Your Exterior Architectural Design
- Why Replacing Half a Roof is a Bad Idea?
- Making Boral Tile Reroofing as Part of Home Remodeling
- Why Sealers are Important for Concrete and Terracotta Roof Tiles
- Boral Roof Tiling: Best Choice for Roof Restoration
- New Homes and Unit Developments Can Benefit Using Boral Roofing Tiles
- Roof Coating for Concrete Tiles: What are the Benefits?
- Re-roofing with Boral Roofing Tiles: Your Best Option to Remove Nasty Moss, Molds and Mildew
- Roof Ridges Using Boral Tiles: The Importance of Proper Installation
- Popular FAQs about Residential Tile Roof Replacement
- Enhance Your Brand New Roof with Boral Terracotta and Concrete Roofing Tiles
- Boral Designer Ceramic Roof Tiles: Advantages for Your Home
- Checklist for New Home Extensions (Why Tile Roofing Must Be Included)
- How to Select Tile Roofing Materials for Optimum Results
- Reasons Why Multi-Unit Builders and Contractors Should Choose Boral Tile Roofing
- Matching Boral Roof Tile Colours with Your Overall Exterior Design
- Use Quality Boral Roofing Tiles for Your New House Extension
- Boral Roof Tiles are Perfect for the Summer Season
- Common Causes of Roofing Tile Failure and Cracking
- The Right Roofing Material is A Vital Part of Your Home Extension
- How Well Do Terracotta Roof Tiles Respond to Different Weather Conditions?
- View all articles…
- Are Concrete Roof Tiles Fireproof?
- Why Should You Consider Using Roof Tiles than Asphalt Shingles?
- View all articles…
- Re-roofing Advantages and When Should You Get Rid Of Your Old Roof Tiles?
- Differences between Tile Roofs and Shingle Roofs: Reasons Why Tile Roofs Are Better
- View all articles…