Differences between Tile Roofs and Shingle Roofs: Reasons Why Tile Roofs Are BetterDecember 1, 2015
For most homeowners, there is very little difference between shingles and tile roofing. In the consciousness of most people, both represent one of the pinnacles of roofing refinement and represent everything that a proper, durable, and worthwhile roof should be. Contrary to common belief, there is a very distinct difference between tile roofs and roofing shingles, although this don’t always come out as evident, thanks to the blurred lines that ascribe the term ‘shingles’ to standard tile roofing.
In a nutshell, both are generally similar in that they are similarly employed as a type of roofing material, often even showcasing similar traits or appearance, but they are not the same; appearance is where the similarity ends. The real difference between shingles and tile roofing is that shingles are often made from some type of rock or similarly hard mineral, generally, but not limited to: granite, limestone, gneiss, and marble, whereas tile roofing is made of an assortment of organic matter which is made into a slurry, shaped, and fired in a kiln.
Tenacious Tile Roofs – They’re Better Than Shingle Roofs
Where shingles tend to be significantly impermeable to water, some type of tile roofing actually feature porous tiles. Shingles are made of thin slices of stone shaped into a tile, but tiles can be clay-based, glazed or unglazed, or even made from porcelain. While both shingles and tile roofing have a tendency to be on the pricier end of the spectrum, tile roofing is generally marketed as more affordable than old-fashioned shingles.
Of course, there are some clear-cut advantages to tile roofing that shingles simply do not have. Tile roofing is sometimes considered the more ‘affordable’, and unfortunately assumed ‘inferior’, end of the roofing spectrum, with a preference geared more towards shingles. This is due, mainly, because homeowners honestly are unaware of these differences. Contrary to popular belief, tiles are actually far more superior to shingles, and not just because they’re ‘affordable’, but also because they’re versatile.
Unlike shingles, which come as-is and whose aesthetics is solely limited to its rock type, tile roofing can come in a wide array of colours, shapes, and finishes with one bound to satisfy your specific design needs. Tile roofing is also considerably lighter than shingles, requiring lesser reinforcement when installed on roofs.
Because they’re technically a kind of ceramic, repairing tile roofs with grout or putty is easy – compared to the often tedious need to replace shingles each time they are damaged. There are other benefits and difference between tile and shingle roofs, and property owners that are in need of re-roofing, roof repair, or planning to install a new roof are advised to consult a roofing professional, to learn more about their roofing options.
Ajax Gregson TIles
PO BOX 79, MOUNT EVELYN VIC 3796 ( Temporary )
Glen’s Mobile 0419 546 699
Mel’s Mobile 0403 486 772
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Why Do Tile Roofs Fail? What are the Best Remedies?
- Upgrading Home Extension Design and Market Value by Using Boral Roofing Tiles
- Advantages of Re-roofing and Switching to Boral Roofing Tiles
- Signs of Aging Roof Tiles: Is DIY Fixing Good Enough?
- Why Roofing Tile Styles and Colours Should Be Part of Your Exterior Architectural Design
- Why Replacing Half a Roof is a Bad Idea?
- Making Boral Tile Reroofing as Part of Home Remodeling
- Why Sealers are Important for Concrete and Terracotta Roof Tiles
- Boral Roof Tiling: Best Choice for Roof Restoration
- New Homes and Unit Developments Can Benefit Using Boral Roofing Tiles
- Roof Coating for Concrete Tiles: What are the Benefits?
- Re-roofing with Boral Roofing Tiles: Your Best Option to Remove Nasty Moss, Molds and Mildew
- Roof Ridges Using Boral Tiles: The Importance of Proper Installation
- Popular FAQs about Residential Tile Roof Replacement
- Enhance Your Brand New Roof with Boral Terracotta and Concrete Roofing Tiles
- Boral Designer Ceramic Roof Tiles: Advantages for Your Home
- Checklist for New Home Extensions (Why Tile Roofing Must Be Included)
- How to Select Tile Roofing Materials for Optimum Results
- Reasons Why Multi-Unit Builders and Contractors Should Choose Boral Tile Roofing
- Matching Boral Roof Tile Colours with Your Overall Exterior Design
- Use Quality Boral Roofing Tiles for Your New House Extension
- Boral Roof Tiles are Perfect for the Summer Season
- Common Causes of Roofing Tile Failure and Cracking
- The Right Roofing Material is A Vital Part of Your Home Extension
- How Well Do Terracotta Roof Tiles Respond to Different Weather Conditions?
- View all articles…
- Are Concrete Roof Tiles Fireproof?
- Why Should You Consider Using Roof Tiles than Asphalt Shingles?
- View all articles…
- Re-roofing Advantages and When Should You Get Rid Of Your Old Roof Tiles?
- Differences between Tile Roofs and Shingle Roofs: Reasons Why Tile Roofs Are Better
- View all articles…